OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Developer Forums > VBA > CorelDRAW/Corel DESIGNER VBA

Old 25-06-2004, 17:23
Kitemaker

Default Corel V9- print only printer-safe colors using gamut alarm?

I am a new Corel V9 user, with lots of Basic programming experience. I am characterizing a new printer by printing charts of RGB color palettes. I want to print only the colors that Draw's gamut alarm shows are "printable". Is it possible using CS or VB to automate the selection of only the swatches that the gamut alarm shows as printable... or is there another way to PRINT only the "printer safe" colors?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Ken
Old 27-06-2004, 22:05
Michael Cervantes

Default Printed color chart

What do you want those charts for?

Why do you want to print an RGB palette?

What printer are you using?

Regards

Michael Cervantes
Old 28-06-2004, 11:16
Kitemaker

Michael. to answer your questions....

"What do you want those charts for?

Why do you want to print an RGB palette?

What printer are you using? "

Ok, here's some of the details... I'm using Fractint and other home- grown software which use 7-bit RGB color palettes. I'm printing on fabrics via dye sublimation. Sometimes the RGB color palettes are generated mathematically, and other times I use existing palettes. This software has no awareness of whether it is generating out of gamut colors. Many of these colors look great on my monitor screen, but are definitely out of gamut, so don't look the same when printed, printing muddy or dark.

I've found Alexis's Color Sampler script to be very useful for creating swatch charts of all possible RGB colors, which I have printed and transfered to my fabrics. These fabric charts help me design new palettes. I have realized that printing any colors that are out of gamut is a waste of ink, and can mislead me, because these colors aren't WYSIWYG. So, I would like to select and delete all the gamut problem colors on these swatch charts before I print them.... seems very practical and useful to me.... problably for others, too.

So, my question remains on the table-
Is it possible using CS or VB to automate the selection of only the swatches that Corel Draw's gamut alarm shows as printable... or is there another way to PRINT only the "printer safe" colors?

Thanks, Ken
Old 28-06-2004, 15:03
Michael Cervantes

Default Out of Gamut

Well. When Alex script create the swatches, they are rectangle objects or so. Right?

If you activate to view Out of Gamut colors option, you will see what swatches has problems, and you can delete them. Don't you?

Regards
Old 28-06-2004, 15:33
Kitemaker

Michael,

Yes, I could do what you suggest, manually, but I'd prefer to use some script, if it's possible.... I can, via Tools ->Color Managment , turn on the highlight colors out of gamut, and then see on the screen that many of the swatches are indeed out of printer gamut.

Here's what I'm looking at- 64 charts, each chart has 4,096 squares and some of these charts have over half of the color swatches out of gamut! That's too much mousing around to select all those swatches to delete them!! Then, this is the heart of the question- is there some coding/ script or VB I can use to automatically select and delete these highlighted swatches?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 30-06-2004, 16:03
Administrator

Ken,

I don't think there is a way right now to determine that. However it is a good suggestion for future versions to have this method in the object model.

However for your particular application, there might be some workaround. If you convert the original color from RGB to CMYK and then back to RGB you can judge the color shift. If the resulting RGB color differs from the original too much, then you can consider it out of gammut.

I hope this helps.