OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Developer Forums > VBA > CorelDRAW/Corel DESIGNER VBA

Old 02-01-2003, 13:29
Rick Randall

Default Getting the center X on a text shape

Hi. I am trying to return the center X position on some artistic text. When I get a centerX on text that is broken apart it gives the correct center as though the text is really just a shape which is what i want. However, when I get the centerX on text that isn't broken apart, it gives the center based on some kind of text formatting which adds a little more width. How can I get the more accurate CenterX position without breaking the text apart?
Old 09-01-2003, 14:50
bbolte

i've had the same problem, never could find a way. corel seems to a bit of space to the left of the first character. the only way we've been able to do it break it up once we are done formatting it.

you could possibly break it apart, get the center and then undo those steps. not sure of the actual commands though. let us know if you figure a way.
Old 17-01-2003, 12:57
Administrator

Default Re: Getting the center X on a text shape

Could you guys give me more info on the problem? Frankly I have never noticed this before, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place? Any code examples or test CDR files?
Old 17-01-2003, 13:02
bbolte

the best way to test is in corel itself. set some text and then select with the select tool. you'll notice some little nodes to the left of the letters and you'll notice the bounding box sites slightly to the left of the first letter, just off that little node. make note of the length of the text object, convert it to curves and then note the length of the object. it should be slightly less.

we noticed this in our vb code as well when trying to center a text object with a shape object and watching what happened in corel as we stepped through the code. until we converted it to curves and then aligned the objects, we couldn't get them centered.
Old 03-08-2004, 18:27
bumblebee

Default Re: Getting the center X on a text shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Randall
Hi. I am trying to return the center X position on some artistic text. When I get a centerX on text that is broken apart it gives the correct center as though the text is really just a shape which is what i want. However, when I get the centerX on text that isn't broken apart, it gives the center based on some kind of text formatting which adds a little more width. How can I get the more accurate CenterX position without breaking the text apart?
i am trying to do the a very similar thing i am trying to get the startin g X positon of the curve .do you have a piece of code which will help me in doing so.for Eg I have the letter O i breakapart the letter O and I have two circles I want to get the starting X position of both of them.
By defualt corel had a small big square on the corner which determines the starting X position Now i have to enlarge the square to a little bigger and more visible square maybe change its color would be good .can i do it.

thanks is advance