OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > CorelDRAW > General

Old 19-02-2006, 03:49
Murdock

Question Weird Toolbox Bug

CorelDraw 11, SP1, SP2
WinXP SP2

Hi,

When using the Pick Tool, Shape Tool and the Rectangle Tool from the toolbox, the cursor is displayed as a large black square. Most annoying . I've tried re-installing Corel; no joy. Does anyone have any idea? Many thanks for your help.

Last edited by Alex; 03-03-2006 at 16:02.
Old 19-02-2006, 04:20
Murdock

... And I tried updating my graphics driver... no change; bug still remains.

Last edited by Alex; 03-03-2006 at 16:03.
Old 19-02-2006, 09:03
Murdock

Anyone? Please?
Old 19-02-2006, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdock
... And I tried updating my graphics driver... no change; bug still remains.
I have ATi Radeon 9600 and I know that ATi Catalyst drivers from 5.7 to 6.1 (don't know about 6.2) not correctly working with Corel12 : on very large magnification when I move bitmap (grayscale) shape of big size then Corel is redrawing very very very slowly. There is no problem though with old Catalyst 5.6 drivers.
So maybe you would find some graphics driver version which is working correctly with Corel (tip #1) or in Tools->Preferences->Display : turn off [ ] Offsscreen image (tip #2), or use some other view mode - enhanced/Normal/Draft (tip #3) or change display resolution and color depth in Windows (tip #4), or if you use some windows theme customizer (windowblinds, styleXP, native windows themes) then try to turn it off (tip #5)

Last edited by Alex; 03-03-2006 at 16:03.
Old 20-02-2006, 13:21
Murdock

Thanks for those tips, Woxxom. Much appreciated input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wOxxOm
So maybe you would find some graphics driver version which is working correctly with Corel (tip #1)
I tried installing version 5.5, as that was the only older one I found on the ATI website. No joy I'm afraid. Actually, as I first noticed this problem, I upgraded my Catalyst driver to v6.2. I tried Corel when I had removed the old driver (i.e. with generic Windows driver). All of this did not remove the error.

Quote:
Tools->Preferences->Display : turn off [ ] Offsscreen image (tip #2)
Tried it. No luck.

Quote:
or use some other view mode - enhanced/Normal/Draft (tip #3)
No results either. It was originally set to "enhanced". I played around with these settings a bit, restarted inbetween, no effect.

Quote:
or change display resolution and color depth in Windows (tip #4)
Tried it. No luck.

Quote:
or if you use some windows theme customizer (windowblinds, styleXP, native windows themes) then try to turn it off (tip #5)
I have no customiser in use.

(tip#6) I've also tried the following: on the Corel CD, there are two DLL files (in \System32). I've seen these with a hex-editor; they contain some cursor formats. I copied them across to \WINDOWS\System32\ and tried Corel. The thought behind this being that some DLL file (somewhere??) is broken, and that I could replace it. No luck either.

(tip #7) On some german forum, someone suggested that McAfee might be under suspicion of causing this bug. So I pulled my network cable, tried to disable McAfee and gave it a go. No luck.

(tip #8) Then there is the suggestion of using F8 at the startup of Corel; have it load the default values. No effect.

I think a broken file somewhere is my best bet. All the Windows cursors are in \Windows\cursors\*.cur. However, Corel doesn't use those. It uses some DLL, but I haven't found out exactly which yet...

I'll keep you informed; in the mean time, any tips are much, much appreciated...

Last edited by Murdock; 20-02-2006 at 16:54.
Old 21-02-2006, 10:45

Another way to solve garbled display is not very good: "Hardware acceleration" slider in Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot. If you put it to 1st or 2nd level and after reboooting problem disappears then something is wrong with display driver. In this case restore hardware acceleration level because you will notice visual degradation of interface redraw speed, and look for download of all old ATi drivers on http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/ - there are unlocked versions of original ATi drivers or try to search on google, but I assure you that softmodded versions are OK, I use them for recent years.
Old 02-03-2006, 17:53
Murdock

Solved the problem now. It was McAfee after all. Shitty software. The patch is not available on their website (that would be providing customer service, and McAfee would be a bit silly to do THAT, right??). You've actually got to contact McAfee, and humbly ask for the patch to correct their ... <deleted by admin>

Last edited by Alex; 03-03-2006 at 16:00.
Old 03-03-2006, 14:45
Fluid

easy with the "F" bombs. Dont forget this is a public site