OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > CorelDRAW > General

Old 07-04-2006, 19:19
billjones

Default "Convert Outline To Object" Problem

Can somebody look at the attached file for CorelDRAW 12 and explain what is going wrong? On the left I have an arbitrary shape, and on the right is the result when I do a Convert Outline To Object function. If I change the shape slightly, or convert all nodes to smooth, or even change the line width to hairline then the problem seems to go away.

I frequently need to convert my drawings to filled curves with no outlines before sending them to the laser machine. This problem keeps creeping up and it's driving me nuts. I hope someone can explain what is going on. I also want to say thanks for the response to my previous post in another section about making a macro to do this function. Now if I can go ahead and convert my drawings without weird stuff happening I will be happy.
Attached Files
File Type: cdr Convert to Outline Problem12.cdr (13.1 KB, 1142 views)
Old 07-04-2006, 21:08
Booker

something about that leftmost point .... very sharp ... pull the control handles out some. Object will convert.

Anytime theres a sharp corner and it breaks while converting to object, just go back and check the severity of the 'corners'. A simple adjustment and it'll be fixed.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:13
billjones

Thanks for your helpful reply, Booker. So the main problem is that the control handles are too short? I extracted this shape from some vector clip-art. I don't know who makes these drawings, but sometimes I see really strange things like small loops and curves that go the wrong way that aren't visible unless viewed at high magnification and/or wireframe mode. Is there an easy way to clean up problems like these?
Old 08-04-2006, 14:03
sallybode

The line weight seems to generate the error. If you change the line weight up or down by a minimu of 3,000ths the error goes away.

At some line weights, if you reverse the curve the error goes away.
Old 09-04-2006, 16:46
Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybode
The line weight seems to generate the error. If you change the line weight up or down by a minimu of 3,000ths the error goes away.

At some line weights, if you reverse the curve the error goes away.
Forgot about the line weights thr Sally... but what if ya need it specifically sized?
Sometimes reversing curves cause others not to fill an object properly and then ya have to reverse them etc. Go straight in for the problem. I've found most of the time it has to do with excess and implaced nodes which in turn leads to trouble. I dunno it works for me.

Amazing how some decent clipart passed on the net or eBay can become something hideous.
Then again... they are the type of files that make you learn what Node Cleanup is. It's a PITA
but a good learning source aside from scanning images. Goodluck with the killer clips.

Last edited by Booker; 09-04-2006 at 16:50.
Old 30-04-2006, 08:29
Kursad

there is a problem with node position or curve form. I selected the node with problem and i applied "make node smooth". So convert to outline to objects works no problem.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: cdr Convert to Outline Fixed.cdr (22.3 KB, 977 views)