OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > CorelDRAW > General

Old 18-11-2009, 04:23
mascotgraphics

Question v11 images opening in CMYK, not RGB as saved

Hi-
I have a lot of images that were done in v11, and were all saved in RGB. I have a new computer, and a fresh x4 install, and when I open most of my images they are in CMYK instead of RGB, some of them are coming across as RGB, but many aren't.

I know the first thought is that I saved them in CMYK, but that's not the case because many of the files were created for web ads, thus it wouldn't have been wise to save them as CMYK.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? The person on Corel's chat was of no help at all, telling me I must have saved them in CMYK. I know that was not the case as most of my artwork was done for the web.

thanks....
Old 18-11-2009, 08:25

Weird...
Did you check your color management settings for corel x4.
X4 uses different settings than cdr11 and colors will appear different.
I had to make my color management settings match my cdr12 when I upgraded.
Got to Tools>Color Management.

Also check your fill in the object properties docker and make sure of the change.

-John
Old 19-11-2009, 08:30
mascotgraphics

Yes, I have tried everything and most of the files always open in CMYK, and sometimes changing the color to RGB doesn't work, it's like I have to recreate every graphic...and I'm not happy about that.

The other thing that I noticed is that where I had a bitmap in the file, many times the bitmap is nothing like when I saved it. Some files the bitmap is fine, but in others it's 50 dpi!

what in the world is going on here?? many of these bitmapped images are so screwed up you can't even see what was in it in the first place!

I'm about ready to return my x4 ane reinstall v11

thanks for any assistance you can give me...
Old 19-11-2009, 10:06

I wouldn't downgrade back to 11.
I felt the same way and used 12 for the longest. I finally upgraded to 14 and it did take some getting used to (I still don't like power trace) but it's something you'll eventually have to do.
I found found some of the features helpful and nice to have.

I think you may be able to use the built in file converter. It has helped me many times. Export all graphics using 11 to eps format then resave as a cdrx4 using x4's file converter.

Hopefully this will preserve your colors.You may have to play around with the settings. Try eps postscript3 and look carefully at the export settings. Change fountain steps to 2000.

Also your bug could be coming from cdr11 and the way it saves the files. I tried ever version from 8 up and found 11 buggy (but not as horrible as 10...lol) so skipped it.

-John
Old 19-11-2009, 11:10
mascotgraphics

Not sure I follow that, so I'll explain my situation further and see if that helps.

I have some ads that I did for the web. I copied their banner ad (jpeg) and placed it in my cdr template that I created. Then I created a vector image in v11, and saved it with the colors as rgb. I kept the file with the bitmap in it from their web page.

When I look at the document properties, it tells me that the document is CMYK, so where do I set it to open new documents as RGB instead of CMYK?

Here's an example: http://mascotgraphics.com/sample.jpg

Upper left is the RGB jpeg from their web page.
Lower left is how that jpeg is opening in x4 (CMYK and definitely NOT how it was saved in v11)
Upper right is how I saved the vector image in v11 (RGB)
Lower right is how it is opening the vector image in x4 (CMYK)

It simply appears that all my documents are opening as CMYK, and I don't know why or where to correct that.
Old 19-11-2009, 11:51
mascotgraphics

Finally got through to someone who told me that x4 is CMYK, no matter what. Even if I use RGB as my profile, it will open as CMYK...he said "that's just the way x4 is". When I turned off my color management, the files opened correctly with the actual bitmap as I saved it, except they're still CMYK. I guess I can export as RGB when I need to, so I guess I have to leave color management off...I didn't in v11.
Old 19-11-2009, 17:05

..or try exporting from your corel 11 file as an eps. Then import the eps into corel x4. This should preserve all color values.

For many files at a time use the file converter macro.

It still seems weird that corel could actually convert the shapes fills to cmyk. That why I figured it just appeared that way and had to do with the default color management setting of x4 and how its differs from previous versions.

Glad you got it figured out.
-John