OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > Corel PHOTO-PAINT > General

Old 19-01-2008, 21:37
Drew Lewis

Default A question about corel packages

I've used Corel PhotoPaint 3, 5, 9, over the years to modify images and add graphics to images going into web sites. Now with the demise of frontpage and my subsequent upgrade to Expressions Web I thought it was time to upgrade my graphics software as well. Unfortunately I have found PhotoPaint x2 much more complex and time-consuming than previous versions. Does anyone have a recommendation? Is there another product that I need to be looking at. I only have five or 10 minutes at best to modify each photo or add a small graphic to an image. I just cannot justify hour or two to upgrade each image.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 21-01-2008, 12:47

I've used photopaint 7,9,11 and now X3. None of them have taken more than a few seconds to do any of the basic functions such as cropping, adjust tone curve, colour balance, set resolution etc.

The first trick is to pick on half a dozen functions (such as the above) and note their hot keys. Alt-A-T brings up the tone curve instantly and if you turn preview on, you see the effects of adjusting it within a few seconds -- unless you're working with an image that's hopelessly too big for a web page in which case you should start by reducing the resolution to what the web page requires.

Similarly, Alt-A-L brings up colour balance and that too should respond almost instantly with any image that's at an appropriate resolution for a web page.
Old 23-01-2008, 16:56
Drew Lewis

What I downloaded and tried was Paint Shop Pro Photo X2. from Corel I thought that that was basically the same as PhotoPaint in the CorelDRAW package. That seemed like a better way to go since PhotoPaint is actually the only part of the package I ever use. I'm guessing at this point that it is not the same.

Since 80% of my time is spent coding sites and maintaining databases I thought I would come where graphics dominates, and get some recommendations.

Try Draw x4 ???
Old 23-01-2008, 18:58

Corel had photopaint long before it took over paintshop. They may have converged under common ownership, but I'm guessing they are still two separate programmes.

I believe photopaint was once available on its own, but that no longer seems to be the case. So unless you qualify for the student price, you'll probably find it a bit pricey to buy the full suite and only use the photopaint part.

I would have suggested trying X3 rather than X4, because there will be more of us that can help you with X3 but as far as I can see you can now get that only from third party download sites such as http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load-2133.html

Either way, when you start it will be the photopaint side that you need to look at -- though, given time to study, you may possibly find that anything you do that involves text could be done equally well as a vector object using CorelDraw.