OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > CorelDRAW > General

Old 21-07-2007, 19:32
H20diver

Default Corel Draw or Corel Paint?

Hi,

I need to assign various primary colors to an image I have. For instance, I have a picture of a sunflower and want to paint a primary color for each petal. Is there a quick and easy way of painting or assigning a differnt color to each petal? Would this be done in Corel Draw or Corel Paint?

I am evaluating Corel Draw X3 and am sure this can be done but I am not sure how to go about this.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 21-07-2007, 23:14

Send a message via ICQ to shelbym Send a message via AIM to shelbym Send a message via MSN to shelbym Send a message via Yahoo to shelbym
Default Picture

What type of image are you starting with? It if is bitmap like a JPEG or GIF then CorelPHOTO-PAINT is the best choice. You would just mask your area and fill.

If your starting image is vector image like an AI file of WMF then CorelDRAW would be best. The Smart Fill tool makes quick work of what you want to do.

Shelby
Old 22-07-2007, 12:02
H20diver

Shelby,

Thank you for the feedback!

Instead of masking the area in paint would it be possible to somehow vectorize the image and then use the Smart Fill tool in Corel Draw? I am not sure if this is possible but I like the idea of the Smart Fill tool v. trying to trace around the bitmap with my mouse.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 22-07-2007, 13:01
Michael Cervantes

Default vector vs bitmap

Color transition is soft in a bitmap, while vector doesnt' have soft edge. There isn't a good idea to trace a bitmap only to change petal color, the result will be horrible.
Old 22-07-2007, 16:36

Send a message via ICQ to shelbym Send a message via AIM to shelbym Send a message via MSN to shelbym Send a message via Yahoo to shelbym
Default Magic Wand Mask Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20diver View Post
Shelby,
I am not sure if this is possible but I like the idea of the Smart Fill tool v. trying to trace around the bitmap with my mouse.
Chris
Sure you can trace it, but I agree with Michael it might not give you the results you like. You don't have to trace around the bitmap with your mouse. Just use the Magic Wand Mask Tool. It will do most of the work for you.

Shelby
Old 23-07-2007, 03:45
H20diver

Thanks Shelby and Michael,

I do a lot of CNC router work. I have a program that allows me to import in an image (jpg, bmp etc.) it automatically scales down the number of colors to 32 unless the picture already has less than that and then turns the image into a 3 dimensional file. I can then machine this image onto wood and get a 3d relief of this image.

Hard edges are what I am after and my objective is to take a full color image, tone down the number of colors to a manageable 6-8 colors before I bring it into the 3d program.

I have been playing with tracing an image and decreasing the resolution without sacrificing quality and then using smart fill to assign colors before importing into the 3d graphics program.

I will have to try the magic wand mask tool sometime today.

You guys have been great... just wanted to detail what I am trying to do in case you have any additional tips for me

Thanks,

Chris
Old 23-07-2007, 12:06
Michael Cervantes

Default Palette image

What you are looking for is to convert the image to Palette mode, there you can reduce the amount of colors.

PhotoPaint. Menu/Image/Convert to Palette 8 bit.

What program is the one you use to go from bitmap to 3D?
Old 23-07-2007, 14:22
H20diver

The program I am using is called Meshcam. Once on the site look at meshcam art.

www.meshcam.com

Thanks again for your info... I will try it tonite.

Chris
Old 24-07-2007, 12:06
H20diver

Smile

Hi Michael or Shelby,

I used the suggestion of converting an image to Palette 8 bit and then setting the number of colors under Corel Paint. The image changes on the monitor to the number of colors I picked, I then saved and reopened into the program I am using to create a 3d relief. The program is opening with 32 colors instead of the 4, or 6 colors I am saving with in this other program.

Is Corel Paint actually saving this image just the way it shows on the screen or am I doing something wrong in the save process. Or it could be the other program... I guess I want to make sure Corel is doing it's part in saving the file with a WYSIWYG format. I am saving in Corel Paint with a jpg extension.

Thanks again for your help
Chris