OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Developer Forums > VBA > CorelDRAW/Corel DESIGNER VBA

Old 17-03-2008, 12:32
Rick Randall

Unhappy Optimization Vs. EventsEnabled ???

What's the difference between "EventsEnabled = false" and "Optimization = True"?

Thanks!
Old 17-03-2008, 13:23

• EventsEnabled=false - disables all custom document/shape modification code hooked up in ThisMacroStorage
  • Optimization=True - IMO disables UI updates, esp. some dockers like ObjectManager, BUT NOT ALL, see the link in the end of the message
  • ActiveDocument.PreserveSelection=false - disables redrawing of actively selected shapes handles
  • ActiveDocument.BeginCommandGroup / EndCommandGroup - to have just one undo list entry to undo all the multiple modifications

These optimizations are the must for any shape modifications intensive code, just don't forget to match them with corresponding alternatives - especially take care of premature exits in code, also in case of unexpected errors - handle them with either on error goto <ErrHandler> or on error resume next and analysis of err.number, because if the macro will be stopped without closing of ...UndoGroup or Optimizations you won't be able to work with document unless you issue the commands to cancel optimizations manually in e.g. ImmediateWindow (in case of VBA)

Take a look at this post about speeding up macros 10 times :-)
Old 18-03-2008, 12:59
Rick Randall

Cool stuck on crazy macro

I've been playing with this crazy macro for creating part numbers and leader lines that will point to parts on technical illustrations. I think its about 80%there but there are some pretty serious issues probably due to the fact that I have no formal training in VB so...

I'm sure there are quite a few ways that I might improve this thing.
I had to use some crazy math to get the leader lines to always point toward the center of the part numbers.

Take a peek! (see attachment)

Thanks,
Rick
Attached Files
File Type: zip Leaderama.zip (49.4 KB, 342 views)
Old 18-03-2008, 13:06

I like the pic :-) but what are the problems actually?
Old 18-03-2008, 14:19
Rick Randall

Talking issues...

Usage:
After an illustrator has drawn a bunch of parts on a page, the last step is to add the part numbers and little lines pointing to the parts. Today, this takes several steps.

My macro basically (when finished) will do this is two clicks. Click #1 is the place where the line points to. (i.e.: the edge of a drawn graphic of an auto part) Click #2 is where the line ends and the part number text is created.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Here are the Issues:
1) It behaves sluggishly on pages with a lot of shapes for some unknown reason
2) Click #1 sometimes selects the auto part vector graphic if of course you click over top of it. I want the macro to behave (when running) as though it cannot select any shapes even though you might click on one. Ideally it would be cool to have it snap to the edge of a part but still not select anything.
3) Sometimes click #2 actually selects the leader line itself. In general, I want nothing to ever be selected. I want it to be fast and smooth with no flickers, or flashing selection handles.

That's basically it!
Old 18-03-2008, 15:03

pi is 3.1415926..., yours isn't, anyway here's a trick to convert from radians to degrees: Degree = CorelScriptTools.AngleConvert(2, 1, Radians)

I think there is nothing you could do about hiding selection handles in this case, keep trying though :-) This is due to the interactive nature of your macro, so either you have instant redraw with handles or slower redraw without them.

p.s. the only way to have such instant redraw as you need without object handles is to hack the dll code in memory IMO

Last edited by wOxxOm; 18-03-2008 at 15:06.
Old 19-03-2008, 04:07
Gadget

Would it help to change the way it works slightly?
- select an object
- click on a button that says "add Callout" {runs your script}
- type in value/callout info in a user form
- click where to position it

you can then disable all screen-refreshes and re-draws untill it's placed: should be quick and slick and eliminate the need to work out in the code what is selected with the first click.

{I've not opened the Zip, so you may already be doing this}
Old 19-03-2008, 07:22
Rick Randall

Default angleConvert

I'm curious about your idea of using...
Degree = CorelScriptTools.AngleConvert(2, 1, Radians)

I'm thinking you mean in my "getAngle_A" module right?
I'm a little unclear where to apply this and what values to supply this function. (2, 1, Radians)?

//rick
Old 19-03-2008, 07:25

instead of radians*180/pi