OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > CorelDRAW > General

Old 24-04-2006, 16:30
FlashOverX

Default Creating an alert for custom spot color.

I am looking for a solution to a problem we have been dealing with for a long time.
Problem
A customer sends us art with a custom color palette that is white. We print out a paper proof and it does not show up. On the screen you don't see it either. However when you print out the film it is on there.

With color art we started printing out seperations and would see it on there. However today we found one on a black and white image.

My thoughts for a solution
It would be nice to create some kind of alert that would notify us when opening up a piece of art if it uses a custom color palette. This would truly save us time rather than having to check every piece of art that comes through. Is there a way to create an alert to look for something like this?
Old 24-04-2006, 17:14
Administrator

Do you have a simple CDR file that has an object with this custom color used? Just to make sure I'm thinking about the same thing you are talking about. It might be quite possible...
Old 24-04-2006, 21:25
sallybode

Why couldn't you use color styles. When you create color styles, it immediately shows you all colors which are used in the CorelDRAW drawing.

You could also use Print Preview and click on print separations, then view that, it will also show you all colors used in your document.

Or you could make a .pdf out of it and if you have Acrobat Professional 6.0 or 7.0, you could either view these colors in Separation Preview in 6.0 or in Output Preview in 7.0 under the Advanced tab.

I work for a printer so if we get in any file, I have to look at it right off the bat and see if there are any problems with it. We get in .pdf files that are supposed to be sent off for 4-color process and they sometimes have spot color in them when they aren't supposed to. If we send out a wrong .pdf, it costs us more time than having the customer fix it right off the bat. Somethings I can fix, but we try never to alter a customer's .pdf, if we miss one dingbat changed to a question mark, we may have to reprint the job at our cost.
Old 25-04-2006, 07:43
FlashOverX

There are several things that I know will fix the issue but they require time. We do anywhere from 10-30 proofs an hour each being different art. Not only that most of our customers send poor art that requires us to fix it. So there is just not set way of getting the exact art we want, trust me we have tried.

90% of the time we catch the white background but we do miss it on occasion. So far we have been lucky on smaller print jobs. We are afraid that this might slip through on one of the bigger orders so we need a flag.

Basically I am looking for something that does this:

On file open if (Custom Color Palette = true)
send user a message "Custom color on this item"

Now granted if we print out seperations on every piece of art we get it would solve the problem 95% of the time. I just want to fix the human error side of this equation when someone forgets to do the seperations.
Old 25-04-2006, 10:09
sallybode

So what you are saying is something like the alert box you get in Illustrator and Photoshop regarding different types of color management which is saved with the file, this one would see if the file has transparent white as a spot color?
Old 25-04-2006, 11:26
FlashOverX

I am not sure if it is the same type of an alert as you get with illustrator or photoshop. It does not have to just recognize white but any custom spot color.

After prodding the art department a little further I believe the problem is they import an AI file into corel. If they miss the file has a custom spot color and save it as a cdr, corel will automatically convert that custom palette color to what it thinks it is which in our current case was black. Now someone else opens up the file in corel and instead of seing the correct image they see a changed image.
Old 25-04-2006, 11:49

The simplest way:

drag with Alt held down "Create Palette from Document" in Window->ColorPalettes" to some place on task bar (near "open")

now after opening document press this button, enter any name for palette, save it - it will popup with all the colors used in document. As you know Pantone colors have dot in corner, so they are easily discovered visually even if there are many colors in this palette

I've written a macro that automates this clicking. This macro works ONLY if you assign to item mentioned above shortcut key CtrlAltShiftP, and only if your current Windows language is english.

Code:
Sub MakePaletteFromDoc()
   SendKeys "+^%p", False
   SendKeys "1{ENTER}{TAB}{ENTER}"
End Sub
You can put it it into globalMacros->CorelDraw objects->ThisMacroStorage
Code:
Private Sub GlobalMacroStorage_DocumentOpen(ByVal Doc As Document, ByVal fileName As String)
   SendKeys "+^%p", False
   SendKeys "1{ENTER}{TAB}{ENTER}"
End Sub
so it will execute evrytime you open a document
Old 25-04-2006, 15:56
Administrator

Why do you have to send keystrokes if you can do something like this:

Code:
Application.Palettes.CreateFromDocument "New Palette"
Old 26-04-2006, 06:51

ALEX, YOU'RE ALWAYS IN THE NICK OF TIME, THNX!!!
now it should be:
Code:
Sub MakePaletteFromSel()
   FileSystem.Kill Application.UserDataPath + "palettes\1.cpl"
   If ActiveSelectionRange.Count = 0 _
      Then Application.Palettes.CreateFromDocument "1" _
      Else Application.Palettes.CreateFromSelection "1"
End Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Why do you have to send keystrokes if you can do something like this:

Code: