OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Oberon Products > CurveWorks

Old 14-05-2003, 11:31
Anonymous

Default New user - curve default? - dxf conversion?

Hi

I have just downloaded the trial files and am 20 minutes in to use. So far so good.
I have to design some fencing for laser cutting. 25metres ranging from 160mm to 600 mm in height.

I am designing like a comb with 500 uniquely shaped teeth and a joining bar 50mm from the top edge. When I have tried a test run to remove overlap I have had to remove each resulting 'overlap' section manually. With 500 to do I would like a shortcut if possible.

Also, it seems that enclosed shapes are left isolated and all need to be 'clicked' to GROUP or COMBINE again. Is this right?

Now a couple of Corel queries you may be able to answer.

Drawing seems to create straight lines by default - each needing individual selection and conversion to curve. Is there an easier way or set curve to default status?

I have to send my designs for laser cutting. Export as dxf has not worked very well, companies get very upset at the time they need to spend cleaning and sorting the emailed files! Any suggestions other than KANDU's Bezarc program? I have struggled with this for over two years - any soluton would be very much appreciated.

I have found you Curve Works program just as I have started this commission for fencing. It stands to save me a great deal of time.
Many thanks -

Peter Stroud (UK)
peter@studiopieces.com
Old 15-05-2003, 13:39
Administrator

Default Re: New user - curve default? - dxf conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Stroud
I am designing like a comb with 500 uniquely shaped teeth and a joining bar 50mm from the top edge. When I have tried a test run to remove overlap I have had to remove each resulting 'overlap' section manually. With 500 to do I would like a shortcut if possible.
Peter, I don't quite understand what you are doing. If I understand corrently, you have about 500 or so objects (let's think of them as rectangles) with one object (another rectangle) crossing them, right? And you want to make them so that they are one whole big object with? I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right, but here is a picture (see attachment). Is that what you are trying to do?

If so, then CorelDRAW's Weld command will do that automatically for you. If you do want to use CurveWorks though, you can do it as well, but in a few more steps:
  1. Select all your objects and hit Ctrl-L to combine them into one object
  2. Use CurveWork's remove overlap command
  3. Hit Ctrl-K to break the resulting object into subpaths. It will contain the welded shape you want plus many small squares where the rectangles used to intersect
  4. Marquee-select the rectangles only to select them all in one step (see the attached image for example)
  5. Hit Delete key to delete the unwanted object

Now you have your combined shape. But as I said, the standard Weld works well for this.

Quote:
Also, it seems that enclosed shapes are left isolated and all need to be 'clicked' to GROUP or COMBINE again. Is this right?
After you use Remove Overlap or Remove Intersections commands, all resulting objects are still combined in one curve. You will need to break it apart (Ctrl-K) to select individual paths. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, sorry

Quote:
Now a couple of Corel queries you may be able to answer.

Drawing seems to create straight lines by default - each needing individual selection and conversion to curve. Is there an easier way or set curve to default status?
I assume you are talking about the Freehand tool. You can "click-release-move-click again" to create straight line segments, or you can "click-draw-release" to create freeform shapes with this tool. If you want to create curve segments, you'd be better off using Bezier tool. It was designer to create curve segments.

Or you can create a bunch of straight line segments with the Freehand tool, select all of the nodes with the Shape tool and convert all of them to curves in one shot. You can even change the node types to "Smooth" to automatically create smooth curve out of your line segments. Works well for me.

Quote:
I have to send my designs for laser cutting. Export as dxf has not worked very well, companies get very upset at the time they need to spend cleaning and sorting the emailed files! Any suggestions other than KANDU's Bezarc program? I have struggled with this for over two years - any soluton would be very much appreciated.
What kind of problems do you have with DXF export? Also what version of CorelDRAW are you using? I think that Draw 11 has much better DXF/DWG import/export. But I may be wrong on this one. Are there any other formats your engravers can use? Such as EPS or AI? You could try those as well.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 16-05-2003, 11:23
Anonymous

Alex

Many thanks for your reply. You understood my faltering explaination well!

If I had known about/understood the Weld function years ago I would have saved myself many frustrating hours or even days (and loads of cash spent on alcohol!). The trials & limitations of self teaching software!

The .dxf conversion has created problems for all laser companies I have approached. The problems seem to centre around multitudes of short straight lines where I need smooth curves. I have also sent files as .ai format and dxf converted within Illustrator! Seems problems abound but I do not fully understand the technical aspects of these. Maybe Corel v11 may be worth a look.

The fillet function of Curve Works is excellent, just what I wanted.

Many thanks

Peter Stroud