OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Developer Forums > VBA > CorelDRAW/Corel DESIGNER VBA

Old 28-05-2012, 16:07

Default Create Symbols at Speed

Hi
Im trying to create about a million instances of the same symbol. Im currently doing this in batches of 50,000 and its not fast and would like to ask what might be the fastest method.
Im using a macro that reads a line from an Excel workbook and then pastes the clipboard according to the 4 items of data - x,y position, size and rotation.

I have had a look at VirtualShapes and Creating Instances of Symbols and Im happy to work on the details but would like some guidance as to what the right approach would be to make it as fast as possible.

thanks
nic
Old 29-05-2012, 08:35

Send a message via ICQ to ddonnahoe Send a message via AIM to ddonnahoe Send a message via MSN to ddonnahoe Send a message via Yahoo to ddonnahoe

My first question would be, what version of Draw are you using? X6 has seen vast improvements in speed and reliability on Win7 64bit. Other versions, especially X5, run really slow.

Another question would be, why 1 million copies? Sounds like over kill.
Old 29-05-2012, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonnahoe View Post
My first question would be, what version of Draw are you using? X6 has seen vast improvements in speed and reliability on Win7 64bit. Other versions, especially X5, run really slow.

Another question would be, why 1 million copies? Sounds like over kill.
A. X6 and yes a million is a big number - they are patterns formed by data and in this instance the bigger the better. By using circles I have managed to plot 842000 (created in 4 files and then merged) but now Im trying the same thing with symbols and it seems slower but this may be because Im now including a rotation in the symbol.

Here's the loop im using (having copied the symbol to the clipboard)
Code:
For n = ro1st To roFin        ' for each line in the spreadsheet 

' read in values
x = XL.Cells(n, 5).Value
y = XL.Cells(n, 6).Value
sz = XL.Cells(n, 8).Value
Ro = XL.Cells(n, 7).Value

sclip.SetPosition x, y        'set its position
sclip.setsize , sz	      'Sized proportionaly by height (sz ,   for by width) 
sclip.Rotate Ro               'rotate it

Next n
Old 01-06-2012, 12:12

Send a message via ICQ to shelbym Send a message via AIM to shelbym Send a message via MSN to shelbym Send a message via Yahoo to shelbym
Default Speed

A couple of suggestions, first do not copy / paste to the clipboard, this is really really and let me toss in one more really slow.

Second, have you turned on Optimization?

Third, I will need to play with all your code to really did in and Optimize it for speed.

-Shelby
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19

Hi Shelby

Thanks for the reply.

You have told me before that cut and paste is slow and I really have heeded your advice when I knew how, here I was a little stuck and since the original post the macro has developed a little (and I dropped the cut and paste). I have attached the current version and a short example spreadsheet. I need to find out how to use external Symbol libraries and dont use them because cant see how to edit them afterwards.

If you would comment on speeding it up I would be grateful - it seems that as the file size grows, the creation of new symbols slows up - so that creating 200,000 symbols takes about 4 times as long as 100,000.

Thanks
nic
Attached Files
File Type: zip fast_symbol.zip (22.1 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by nic; 03-06-2012 at 09:21.
Old 18-06-2012, 11:54

Send a message via ICQ to shelbym Send a message via AIM to shelbym Send a message via MSN to shelbym Send a message via Yahoo to shelbym
Default Symbols

I took a look at this, and the slowest part is the creation of the symbol, however as you have stated they are not supported via the Virtual Layer or VirtualShapes, so I am not sure how much of an improvement you will be able to get.

If I get a little more time, I will try and be a little more creative. ;-) You never know what they might generate.

-Shelby

Tags
optimization