OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Developer Forums > VBA > CorelDRAW/Corel DESIGNER VBA

Old 11-06-2005, 14:44
geHucKa

Default How I can call my function in DLL from VBA code?

Does anybody know how I can call my function in DLL from VBA code?
Old 14-06-2005, 11:59
Administrator

If you are talking about a Windows API function, then it's easy to do. You just need to find a Visual Basic declaration of the function on the net and put it in the macro. For example, here is how you would read a value from an .ini file. Let's assume you have a file called c:\settings.ini which has the following content:

Code:
[Person]
Name=Alex
Gender=Male
Here is how you would extract this data from the ini file using Windows API GetPrivateProfileString function:

Code:
Option Explicit

Private Declare Function GetPrivateProfileString Lib "kernel32" _
        Alias "GetPrivateProfileStringA" (ByVal lpApplicationName As String, _
        ByVal lpKeyName As String, ByVal lpDefault As String, _
        ByVal lpReturnedString As String, ByVal nSize As Long, _
        ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long

Private Function ReadSetting(ByVal strSection As String, ByVal strKey As String) As String
    Dim strVal As String
    Dim nLen As Long

strVal = Space$(200)
    nLen = GetPrivateProfileString(strSection, strKey, "", strVal, Len(strVal), "C:\Settings.ini")

ReadSetting = Left$(strVal, nLen)
End Function

Sub Test()
    MsgBox ReadSetting("Person", "Name")
    MsgBox ReadSetting("Person", "Gender")
End Sub
You can get standard Windows API definitions for Visual Basic from many internet sites. Here is one: http://www.mentalis.org/apilist/apilist.php

If you want to call functions from your own DLL, you can do it the same way. Just make sure you define the parameters correctly (add ByVal keyword to parameters which are passed in by value and not by pointer/reference).
Old 14-06-2005, 15:27
geHucKa

Thanks. I'll try this one.
Old 15-06-2005, 07:11

Send a message via ICQ to ddonnahoe Send a message via AIM to ddonnahoe Send a message via MSN to ddonnahoe Send a message via Yahoo to ddonnahoe

That's pretty cool. but how would you do it in reverse? For instance, How would you write to the settings.ini file. I have a macro that you have to enter a customer name, address, phone number, and contact.

What I'd like to see happen is any new customer that is added in the form would be added to the .ini file and during form_initialize(), I would like to recall all of thos items stored in the .ini file and add them to my combobox.

I assume that the .ini file would look something like this...
Code:
[Customer]
Name=ABC Company
Address1=123 Street
Address2=Somewhere, USA 12345
Phone=555-1234
Fax=555-4321
Contact=Murray
I'm trying to figure out how there would be multiple entries or would this be better done from a .txt file?
Old 15-06-2005, 17:59
geHucKa

Hello, Alex.

I tried your code changed for my own function int Run(int) in my own DLL written in MSVC2K3 but had error:

Run-time error '453': Can't find DLL entry point Run in MyDLL.dll

The test application written in MSVC2K3 called my function perfectly.

In VB I declared my function like this:

Private Declare Function Run Lib "C:\MOE\MyDLL\Debug\MyDLL" (ByVal l As Long) As Long

And called like this:

Run (0)

What mistake I did? Warning: I don't know anything about VB...

And small question. How I can call function by the address returned by WINAPI GetProcAddress?

Thanks.
Old 23-06-2005, 14:40
geHucKa

Hello! Thanks to all but I already solved problem myself. Probably a thing interesting to community. As I expected C++ compiler renamed my function in DLL by adding a prefix and suffix. So function void Run(void) really has name ?Run@@YGHXZ. When I changed declaration in VB my function has called perfectly.
Old 23-06-2005, 15:02
Administrator

To avoid C++ name mangling, you need to use this:

Code:
extern "C" void Run(void)
{
}
Also add the function "Run" in the .def file in your project. This way the name of exported function will be exactly "Run" and not something else. If you don't add the export entry in the .def file and use just __declspec(dllexport) like in:

Code:
extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) void Run(void){}
then your function will be exported as "Run@0" where "0" is the size of data on stack for parameters. Since your function has no parameters it will be suffixed with "@0". If you declare it as, say, "void Run(int v)" then it will be exported as "Run@4" since int takes 4 bytes.

I hope this helps.