OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Developer Forums > VBA > CorelDRAW/Corel DESIGNER VBA

Old 31-01-2008, 20:52

Default place text inside box with auto size?

question for everyone... am I dreaming... or is this possible? I have no problems creating a box... rectangle... whatever you'd like to call it, creating some paragraph text, and placing said paragraph text inside the box!

However, what i would like to ultimately have is a form/textbox that asks for some text, and no matter how much text I type, it will create a box AND paragraph text at a predefined width (it can't be more then say 30 characters wide for the paragraph text - wraps after 30 chars.).

So if I type 200 characters, it automatically will adjust the length of the box (object) and paragraph text accordingly! Possible... or is it a wonderful dream? haha

B
Old 01-02-2008, 07:43

Send a message via ICQ to ddonnahoe Send a message via AIM to ddonnahoe Send a message via MSN to ddonnahoe Send a message via Yahoo to ddonnahoe

It's likely this can be done, but there are a lot of variables here that need to be determined. Depending on the font you use, 30 characters may be 1" wide at a certain point size and another font may be 3" at the same point size. Will you be using a mono-spaced font or variable? What point size is the text output at? Is 30 characters essential or just the actual measured width (ie. 1.36")?

There is an option in the Tools>Options>Workspace>Text>Paragraph... "Expand and Shrink..."
This option will increase or decrease the height of the frame to match the flow of text.

----------------
Now playing on Pandora: Slayer - Raining Blood
via FoxyTunes
Old 01-02-2008, 09:39

well here's what I can tell you... I'll try and give you as much background as I can regarding what it is used for!

The text box belongs to a drawing template. We design signs, and we have a standard template that has boxes at a fixed width running down the right side of the page. They are description boxes that callout elements of the drawing. These boxes ALWAYS have the same width, but vary in height based on the amount of text we enter in our description. However, there are some things that always stay the same. The width obviously, and the font characteristics- Arial/Bold/9pt/Blue/All caps.

Currently we have a box that is a small bit larger then Arial Bold 9pt, with a 0.5pt black outline. It starts it's life out as box (in 1:1 scale) 2.843" w x 0.141" h. We type our text in the box (we simply have a "XX" artistic text sitting inside the box that we modify) and hit the return when it gets close to the edge of our box, and continue typing our description. Once we have typed all the text we need, we adjust our box in height, to match the height of the text we just typed! If we add another description, we duplicate the above text and box, and start the process all over again!

This has worded fine for years, but there has to be an easier way. That’s the reason I'd like to have everything automatic. I'd like a form to appear that I can type a description and it appears on the page, sized in height and (fixed) width automatically for whatever amount of text I typed in the textbox. Then if I wanted to add another item, it'd simply draw me a new box with the text inserted and sized directly under the first description. I've got that part all figured out... but I simply can't figure out the auto size feature!

I know it'd be easy if it was just the paragraph text on it's own, but I need to have the other box around it! Hence my reason for the post!

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

B
Old 01-02-2008, 12:35

Send a message via ICQ to ddonnahoe Send a message via AIM to ddonnahoe Send a message via MSN to ddonnahoe Send a message via Yahoo to ddonnahoe

You could try this...
Code:
Sub Test() 
 Dim s As Shape 
 Dim s1 As Shape 
 Set s1 = ActiveLayer.CreateEllipse(0, 0, 2, 2) 
 Set s = ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText(0, 0, "My Text", , , "Arial 
Black", 24) 
 s1.PlaceTextInside s 
End Sub
This code is directly from the help file, but you could modify it for your document.
Maybe have the box you want to input a description to selected already, then run a macro that offers the user a textbox to type in. Below is a sample of what I am talking about...
Code:
Sub InputDescription()
    Dim os As Shape, s As Shape, t As Text
    Dim desc As String
    If ActiveSelection.Shapes.Count < 1 Then
        MsgBox "Please select a box", vbOKOnly
        Exit Sub
    ElseIf ActiveSelection.Shapes.Count > 1 Then
        MsgBox "You must only have one box selected"
        Exit Sub
    End If

Set os = ActiveShape
    desc = InputBox("Enter Description", "Description")
    If desc <> "" Then
        Set s = ActiveLayer.CreateParagraphText(0, 0, 1, 2.843, desc, , , "Arial", 9)
        Set t = s.Text
        t.Story.Case = cdrAllCapsFontCase 'This makes sure your output is ALLCAPS, just in case
        s.Fill.ApplyUniformFill CreateCMYKColor(100, 0, 0, 0)
        os.PlaceTextInside s
    End If
End Sub
This is all I have so far. I will work on having the box automatically reduce to fit the paragraph.

----------------
Now playing on Pandora: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Variations On A Cocktail Dress
via FoxyTunes
Old 04-02-2008, 03:31
Gadget

Quick questions:
1) Why does the paragraph box have to shrink at all? it can be the full height of the page - it's only the outline box that needs to end at a specific point and the next box down needs to start at a specific point.

2) Why can't you grow the box rather than shrink it? There is a flag on a paragraph box to say if it runs over, I'm sure some clever people could programatically check to see if it's active.

3) Why place the text inside the box? Why not draw the box to the size to match the text box?

Last edited by Gadget; 04-02-2008 at 03:33.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:32

Unfortunately, my Kung-Fu is not that strong. I am sure that someone can expound on my previous macro to make it do those things. I will keep working on it, unless someone else posts and update to my code.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:49
Lev

Code:
Sub Test()
 Dim s As Shape
 Dim s1 As Shape
 Set s1 = ActiveLayer.CreateEllipse(0, 0, 2, 2)
 Set s = ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText(0, 0, "It is my very very very very very very long text", , , "Arial Black ", 24)
 Set s = s1.PlaceTextInside(s)
 While s.Text.Overflow
  s1.SizeWidth = s1.SizeWidth + 0.01
 Wend
End Sub
Note that this code can go into cycles for a multy string text because it changes only frame width while Overflow can be caused by more than 1 paragraph text.

Last edited by Lev; 05-02-2008 at 11:06.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:56

WOW! very nice guys! All excellent work! Thank you very much for the help! Now that I have these little snippets of code... I can add on to the rest easily. I'll try and post my progress in hopes maybe someone else will be able use my idea later!

Thanks again for all your help!

B
Old 08-02-2008, 08:52
Craig Tucker

Default Larger Box...

Hi BPrice,
You might consider creating one box the whole length of the right side and insert text accordingly. This way you can get the attributes such as font size, alignment, color, etc. from another shape used as a sample. Use line feeds to move down. This is how we do menus (because we never know how many hamburgers there will be! Hamburger Title, Description, and Price - different size, alignment, and color respectively...)
HTH, Craig...

s2.Text.Story.InsertAfter (vbCrLf)
Set lcTextRange = s2.Text.Story.InsertAfter(s1.Text.Story, s1.Text.Story.LanguageID, s1.Text.Story.Charset, s1.Text.Story.Font)
lcTextRange.Size = s1.Text.Story.Size
lcTextRange.Alignment = s1.Text.Story.Alignment
lcTextRange.Fill.UniformColor = s1.Fill.UniformColor
If s2.Text.Overflow = True Then
lcImageError = "1026_" & lcMenuNumber
End If