OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Developer Forums > VBA > CorelDRAW/Corel DESIGNER VBA

Old 09-12-2008, 15:07
inaph

Default Useful Macro for Engraving

Hello, I've been looking through the posts here and at the macros on the main site... this looks to be a pretty active and informative place to be. I am looking to achieve some specific things with Corel and would like to get input for how to achieve them. I assumed that this functionality does not exsist and VBA would be required, so this forum seemed like a good place to start.

Things you need to know are:

There are two main ways I use Corel for engraving. Single item engraving and multiple items in one pass.

There are several templates I use to position artwork depending on what I am engraving.

If my positioning templates allow multiple items I may not need them all. Example - I go to engrave an order for 75 name plates but my template allows to engrave 100 in one pass.

There are a couple hundred drawings individually saved in its own file (If I try to use multiple layers the file becomes cumbersome).

I engrave multiple materials that require different laser settings.

Description of VBA or Existing function/software I am looking for:

What I'd like to be able to do is have a basic menu that prompts the user.

1. Engrave
2. Add/Delete (artwork from library)

If user selects (1.) then
A) Prompt for input of art catalog #(referenced by printed thumbnails of current artwork in a directory) then
B) Prompt for positioning template (file that has one or more squares that an instance of the artwork can cycle through and populate) then
C) Prompt for qty
D) Prompt for material selection to change printer driver settings

If user selects (2.) then
The main reason for this option is to password protect the artwork from accidental deletion, Import the new artwork into the proper directory and to reprint catalog from time to time.

I can spend some time on this over the next couple of weeks and I am requesting advice on ways to use existing Corel functionality. If any forum member can contribute any macros or code for any part of the functionality described I would appreciate it very much.

Keep in mind
I am on version X3
On a scale from 1 to 10 in VBA I rank about a 2.5
I will post the resulting code/macro for others here who could use it

TIA - inaph
Old 11-12-2008, 15:03
inaph

Ok, I'm getting started and I have a question. What this macro will do is temporarily combine two files. The one that has the artwork and the one that has the template to apply the artwork to. How is this done? My first thought is to create a procedure to open the art file silently, copy the contents into the clipboard, close it leaving data on the clipboard then open the second file and paste into the bounding boxes. ...or is there a better way?

thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 16:25

Send a message via ICQ to shelbym Send a message via AIM to shelbym Send a message via MSN to shelbym Send a message via Yahoo to shelbym
Default Hmmm....

Why open or mess with the clipboard, just import the document into the other one.

-Shelby
Old 11-12-2008, 18:19
inaph

Duh right? Although if I want to run a check on the file for variables that change the properties of controls on the form, is this the prefered way?. Say I want to check the number of bounding boxes in the file then return multiple false or multiple true which in turn makes the multiples radio control selectable or not. This option needs to be set before running the procedure.

Can you query the contents of a cdr file without opening it?

and thanks the reply Shelby!

Last edited by inaph; 11-12-2008 at 18:41.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:50

Send a message via ICQ to shelbym Send a message via AIM to shelbym Send a message via MSN to shelbym Send a message via Yahoo to shelbym
Default Before Open

You cannot query before opening so I would still probably import it then launch my dialog UI which would then populate based off what you just imported.

-Shelby
Old 13-12-2008, 02:06
inaph

Ok, Im just exploring ideas for now. I want these two files to dynamically interact with eachother within the userform as the user selects them with a preview of the resulting image. I am looking at Alex's UI extentions for this. thanks...
Old 13-12-2008, 11:12

Default Another way...

I have a macro that shows a thumbnail, basically I make my change then generate a small bmp in a temp location, then refresh that bitmap to the form. Seems to work well enough.

-Shelby
Old 15-12-2008, 00:33
inaph

Hello, been busy with my honey do list last couple days... things like hanging lights, tree shopping, steam cleaning carpets and what not. Bah humbug!

Anyway,

I think that I can work out doing your thumbnail solution but I was hoping for something a little more robust. Can you tell me if it is possible to insert an editable cdr document into a form? If so, I'm sure it's not easy but, I'm willing to take a stab at it (given some direction).

inaph
Old 18-12-2008, 12:04
inaph

Default ????

Did I ask the wrong question? Can it be done? Seems like it should be possible.
Old 18-12-2008, 13:19

Default Cdr

No there is no control that lets you place a CDR in a form that I know of. The closest think would be Alex's control, but you will have to code it.

-Shelby

Tags
catalog, engraving, position, scale, tile