OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > CorelDRAW > General

Old 09-12-2005, 15:27
meandirtyjoe

Default Corel Draw 12 and Color Management...

Hello everybody,

here's another "tough" one for you: where does Corel Draw 12 keeps
the settings for the Color Management?
I use Corel Draw for professional output and prepress. That's
why we - at the office i work - had all our PC's, scanners, printers
and monitors calibrated by professionals who are specialized
in Color Management. Everything now works perfect and
the color i scan is the same with the color i see on my monitor
(on all appications) and is the same color i get from my printer.
(By the way, Corel Draw handles Color Management in a rather
"amateur" way, but this is another chapter).
So, where can i find these settings we've made in Corel
Draw's Color Management so i can reload them in a case
of a pc formatting?

Joe English
Old 15-12-2005, 10:04
Ugly

Colour Management styles are saved in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Corel\Graphics12\User Config\Color.ini

Is that what you are looking for?
Old 24-12-2005, 14:22
meandirtyjoe

Yes, thank you.
Old 30-12-2005, 20:28
David Milisock

tools menu color management. It sees all profiles from the folder c:/windows/winnt/system32/spool/drivers/color

Older operating systems have the profiles in another area of the system sometime just system32/color

BTW reformatting the PC will require more then just reloading any CM styles. You must reload the non-default Windows/Corel profiles into the proper folder. Replacing the ini does not replace the profiles.

However I would disagree with CD handling CM in as an amateur. I have been in printing 30 years and find that it works just as well as any other application. In fact i like it better then the crap I get from people after they screw up their profile with editing the UCR, CGR or UCA in PhotoShop. I use ProfileMaker and output to many device generally with a color managed PDF workflow.
Old 31-12-2005, 15:09
meandirtyjoe

Have you ever tried to export a .pdf from Corel Draw with an embredded profile?
In general, Corel Draw won't export anythin with the correct colour profile embedded.
Old 31-12-2005, 17:41
David Milisock

I use CorelDRAW for professional level color managed PDF output all the time.

I do not recommend that you publish to PDF from CorelDRAW or any other application. I use Distiller for universal compatibility in Apogee, Rampage, Metadimentions as well as all known driver based and driver based digital front end work flows. However if you chose to publish your PDF from Draw in the advanced tab of the PDF settings you can output all objects as CMYK and Draw will allow you to select a CMYK profile however it must be one of the CMYK profiles that you selected on the CM dialog.

I have sent the below copy along for your comsumption, it pertains to CM and was sent to several hindred of my clients.

Color management (CM) as far as the Corel Graphics Suite is concerned , when compared to their competition is a simple straight forward and very functional professional level feature.

Why do I say this? Simply through 30 years of production experience I have learned that there is currently no software program I know of that allows you to effectively and accurately manipulate GCR, (gray color replacement), UCR (under color removal), or UCA (under color addition) that is priced under $3,000 U.S., that will maintain gray balance and create or edit a state of the art color profile. Corel fully supports these features but keeps your hands out of this area and they were wise to do so, their competition in some cases has chosen to offer an under documented, overly complicated and uncomplete set of advanced tools.

Yes I know that there are PhotoShop users who are going to read this and burn me in effigy, but that does not make what I have said untrue. In fact when you have experience with and understand the true nature of a CM work flow one can see that the use of these profile editing features can in most cases be detrimental to a professional level color managed output. I am willing to prove my point to anyone. Bring your PhotoShop created or edited profiles and we can run some real production tests on known files using 1% increments. We can look at repeatability, gray balance and most importantly accuracy against composite files printed at various location in the U.S. as well as local proofing devices and presses.

The proper use of CM is to make color accurate and repeatable as possible for an entire work flow, not making just one image look good. For proper CM one has to calibrate as closed loop a system as possible and then rely on properly built graphic files and color profiles. CorelDRAW Graphic Suite is not only designed exactly for this professional work flow the elegance of it is in the simplicity

What that means is a proofing device calibrated to your properly calibrated press, a monitor profile and scanner profile. Then setting all computers and all your graphic applications (but more easily done in CorelDRAW) to a standardized RGB, CMYK work space profiles, and set your color engine and rendering intents. All one has to do then is to edit image or vector file content using standard curves or other methods as one prefers. The artist can then rely on their proofing device to deliver proper color output making changes to the application file as required. When sending a file for output (a Postscript file or a properly created un-color managed PDF file) the artists can rely on the professionally created color profile for the press to compress the TIC (total ink coverage) and maintain gray balance and therefore color integrity of the file specifically for the output device.

The benefit of this work flow for the artist is that there are no embedded profiles to be ignored by the pre-press technician. Let us not forget that the artist may have embedded improper profiles to start with. Can we all say major color shifts? Or shall we say business as usual?

This does not have to cost a fortune, for most users I estimate less then $2,000 for professional profiles. A print production company might run from as much as $2,000 to $15,000 depending on the work flow and the number of profiles. To purchase the software and hardware you’re looking at $5,000 as an estimated minimum or more and in my opinion a nearly vertical learning curve.

CorelDRAW Graphic Suite makes color management easy, look to paragraph five for the information you need. Select tools menu, color management in CorelDRAW or Corel Photo-PAINT to select that dialogs to set you CM settings.

I use Microsoft ICM 2.0 CMM for my color engine as it is compatible on the PC across all graphic applications. Do this by double clicking the RGB icon in the color management dialog.

I use a perceptual rendering as in my experience it is the most commonly used in the print industry. Do this by double clicking the RGB icon in the color management dialog.

I use the Adobe 1998 internal RGB settings, chose one you like and stick with it on all units as your choice affects color shifts across color models.

I map spot colors to the CMYK gamut and I show CMYK in percentages. You can do this by double clicking the monitor icon in the color management dialog.

The CMYK profile I use is the generic separations profile. I find it matches the light GCR 360 CMYK US negative. I use it because most of my work is sheet fed and a TIC of 360 can be handled by the presses as well as other graphic application compatibility. When sending work to WEB or other units of lesser TIC I send my PDF as created with a TIC of 360 and rely on the specific profile for that work flow to compress the TIC of my file and maintain color integrity for the output device.

I have created a monitor profile and a scanner profile and I use them in the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite. I don’t care if you have a proper monitor profile and a $5,000 monitor it will not display the entire CMYK or Spot Color pallette properly, ever

My work flow is PDF so I turn off composite printer color management. I rely on my base profile settings and PDF based proofing to create the file properly in terms of color builds in CorelDRAW, Photo-PAINT or other applications. My 360 TIC un-color managed PDF file is then processed through the proper profile, either for my proofing device or the output device in the RIP (raster image processor) for that particular unit. What I mean by an un-color managed PDF is that color management is turned off in the Distilling process so my 360 TIC file is passed straight through to the PDF.

Last edited by David Milisock; 31-12-2005 at 17:53.
Old 31-12-2005, 17:49
Fluid

Oh boy you got him started <g>
Actually David knows his stuff, great info.
Old 31-12-2005, 17:57
David Milisock

I wish CM was simple and easy but it isn't because it just isn't. I only have a few years to pass this crap on to the future users because myf at butt will be on a donkey going to the Grand Canyon or chasing my wife on world crusies.