OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > CorelDRAW > General

Old 29-09-2006, 05:43
keytecstaff

Default "Read only" errors

We have the following problem happening apparently at random in Corel Draw ver 13

1. We open a new file and make changes.
2. Save the file
3. Open it later and make more changes.
4. Try to save the file and Corel Draw claims it is read only and therefore cannot be saved under the original name.

When we investigate the properties in Windows the file is not read only.

Anyone any idea why Corel Draw says a file is read only when it isn't?

We are using a Windows work station on a network with a Linux Server running Samba.

Mark
Old 30-09-2006, 00:11
Administrator

Linux server seems suspicious. Not the server itself, but the whole Windows-Linus collaboration might be the cause of the confusion (for CorelDRAW at least). I don't know how to test for this though...

Can you, maybe, at least try to determine what chain of events cause the problem for certain. I mean, trying to find out the exact steps to reproduce the problem reliably every time. Once you have these steps, they can be relayed to Corel for further investigation...
Old 30-09-2006, 09:33
gingem

Hi Mark
I have seen this problem using other programs when saving from a workstation to a network drive the files get tagged as read only. I don't remember exactly how I solved the problem. Try this first, save the file to your local drive instead of the networked drive and see if the problem is solved and then you will know that the problem is network security settings. It could also be that the networked drive has security settings that won't let you change a file, this will not show the file as read only but be user settings from the network administrator.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:09
keytecstaff

Question

There are no certain exact steps but that we just one day have to open the file again for editing and sometimes all of the .cdr files will have become read-only according to CorelDraw. When we look at the properties of the file using File Manager it shows as not being Read-Only.

Strange one this but I have noticed on another forum someone else having the same problem. Click here

Hope someone is able to solve this problem.

Many thanks,

Kevin.
Old 17-11-2006, 20:16
Administrator

I'm wondering if this problem only happens when files reside on a Linux server, or can this also happen with Windows-based file servers? Anyone had a problem with supposedly "read-only" files when opening:

- local files (on the same machine as CorelDRAW)
- remote files on Windows-based file server

Anyone?
Old 20-11-2006, 09:59
mick classen

Default it happens in windows as well

Hi: As you have noted I've posted the similiar problem. From our experience it seems that Corel does this as it sees fit. I've noticed similiar other nuisance issues with X3. We all love the added features of X3 but we are all also becoming annoyed with these glitches. They certainly need to be addressed.

The other annoyance that comes immediately to mind: why are the dimension tools are so? Sometimes it is impossible to get the text into the line - regardless of how many times you reduce the size of the font.
Old 21-11-2006, 17:57
Administrator

Mick,

Sorry for playing the devil's advocate here but just complaining wouldn't help anyone. I have never seen this issue for myself, so I cannot replicate the problem, nor can I log a defect so it can be fixed. It would be so much better for everybody involved if whoever experiencing the problem took some extra time trying to narrow down the problem to particular steps, or hardware configuration.

In the end, we all know that there is no perfect programs, and the defects present in them must be fixed, however in order to do this, as much information about the issues is need as possible. And just stating that someone has the problem doesn't really help.

Sorry if I sounded too negative, but it's not the first time that a problem is reported and any further attempts to get additional information fall on a deaf ear... It's important to understand that the best chances of having an annoying issue fixed is having a reliable way of reproducing the problem first, then the enineers can just debug the code, see what the problem might be and fix it...

Old 21-11-2006, 19:55
mick classen

No problem Alex - complainers bug me too. Yes I do expect things to work well. X3 is a great program and has many useful upgrades. But sometimes it is difficult to clearly identify what is happening. Because this problem occurs irratically it's unclear what is happening. What I was trying to say was that it is not a problem that is specific to Linux but that we also have that problem.

Similarily, "the sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work" problem with text in the dimension lines. Doing the same thing and getting different results makes it hard to address the problem, nevertheless it remains a problem.

As it turns out (I learned today from Corel) this "read only" is a problem that they are aware of and have been trying to address. You may not have experienced it but Corel knows it is a problem. Apparently it is not going to be an easy fix.
Old 22-11-2006, 03:53
keytecstaff

Thumbs up

Nice to know that Corel have finally got round to acknowledging this problem with read-only files.

Hope that they get it fixed soon.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:50
keytecstaff

Hi,

I am still getting read-only errors with CorelDraw X3. I have SP2 installed.

Looking into the problem a little deeper I have noticed that CorelDraw gets confused with files where the archive flag has been turned off. It assumes that these files are read-only. If I turn the archive flag on then CorelDraw has no problems. We backup our server every evening which then sets all archive flags off for files which have been archived.

Do Corel know about this problem?

I hope that this can be fixed soon.

Kevin.