OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > CorelDRAW > General

Old 31-05-2008, 22:01
Administrator

Ok, I looked at your file and I know what the problem is. Your document contains a lot of radial fountain fills. And each fill has a locked number of steps, 256 to be exact. Illustrator doesn't support fountain fills with fixed number of gradient steps. That's why the only reliable way of transferring such graphic from CorelDRAW to Illustrator is to split each fill into a set of concentric circular objects. So, each filled object becomes 256 little circles and that's why your AI file was huge at the end.

If you don't have fixed number of fountain steps, then the fill is transfered to Illustrator as is and the graphic becomes pretty small and exports quickly.

I have created a small macro for CorelDRAW X4 that goes through each object with fountain fills and fixed number of gradient steps and removes the lock from the steps.

Here it is:

Code:
Sub ReleaseFountainSteps()
    Dim s As Shape
    For Each s In ActivePage.Shapes.FindShapes(Query:="@fill.type='fountain' and @fill.fountain.steps > 0")
        s.Fill.Fountain.Steps = 0
    Next s
End Sub
After I ran this macro on your document, it exported to Illustrator quickly and the AI file size is just about 1MB. See the attached ZIP archive.

And I don't quite understand your problem of converting Pantone colors to CMYK. I just did the following:

1. I went to Edit > Find and Replace > Replace objects
2. Selected "Replace a color model or palette"
3. On next page I selected "Find any color model or color palette" and specified to "Replace with the color model: CMYK"
4. Clicked Finish.

This did the job for all the Fills. Then I repeated the process for outlines and all your objects now have CMYK-only colors right in the document.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sample-figure-ORIGINAL-PANTONE.zip (673.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-06-2008, 02:45
Matthias

Thank you very much for your macro, your help is really tremendous. If you open the AI-file that you sent me and click on the graphic, there seems to be a doubled copy of the outlines (the same happens on my computer after running your macro too), after deleting that copy it seems to be ok.

Is there also a tip for the cross-fades/lenses in Corel – I use them very often? I enclose two files. The conversion of sample 1 from Corel to AI also lasts about 2 minutes, the file size is increasing to over 70 MB? If I open this cdr file directly in AI everything is going quite fast and the file size is quite small.

The search for the colour model and replacement with the CMYK model works on first sight quite fine in Corel, but if you open the enclosed pantone-replacement-file (the filling is, if you go to the filling options in the filling palette, Pantone DS 1-8 C). In the menu, you´ll only see C:0, M:0, Y=25, K:0(at least I see this on my screen). Now please search/replace all colors with the CMYK-model – and go again to the filling options of that object – and again there is Pantone DS 1-8 C. If you import that replaced figure with AI, its color will be converted to black. For Corel and AI it seems to stay in the spot-color-model.
Attached Files
File Type: zip samples-cross-fade.zip (175.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-06-2008, 11:17

Right, here's something to try.

a) Open your sample-figure-ORIGINAL-PANTONE.cdr in Corel X4.

b) Just for demonstration, delete everything except the lemon background and the cluster of objects in the bottom left rectangle. This speeds the demo immensely.

c) Go to tools : colour styles (which should currently show as an empty folder).

d) Back to the document pane, edit : select all and drag everything into the colour styles pane below that empty folder. It will create add a colour style for each of the objects you just dragged in.

e) You'll probably see Pantone 192 as one of the colours. Right click on it, select "convert to CMYK" and I believe it will at the same time convert all those objects using pantone 192 to CMYK.

Try your export to AI and see if this is any better, before repeating with the whole document -- which will probably take a LONG time to deduce its colour styles.

However, there's one oddity I've noticed and this may be more of a problem. When you select that yellow background, even though its style is a simple 25% yellow, Corel always displays it on shift-F11 as if it weere a pantone process colour.

I'm not sure why it is doing this but it seems this may be happening whenever you choose a CMYK combination that accidentally matches the pantone process table. And if it's those colours that are causing the problem, then the above will not solve it -- but will at least get us a little closer.
Old 06-06-2008, 13:16
Matthias

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I immediately tried it - and e.g. the yellow is shown as a CMYK-colour in the palette, but if I try to import it in Illustrator this color will be converted to black (=spot-color) - for Corel and AI it still seems to be a CMYK-Spot-Color. If also try to increase the yellow from 25 to 26, click ok, and then again reduce the value, it will again be show as a Pantone spot color. Corel seems to have a Pantone-problem.
If I convert all colors to RGB it works quite fine - although the way to export it from corel to ai is quite better, importing directly to AI has some mistakes. Some objects e.g. lines with an arrow will be separated in two objects while the export from corel to AI maintains this object in one.

If I open my above mentioned second sample (converted to RGB) directly in AI the cross-fading in the red balk is converted perfectly.
Is there any possibility to convert/replace the cross-fadings in corel so that they are exported approprietly to AI as in the imported AI-sample? For any help I would be extremely thankful. Especially Alex, if you might know a macro-way please let me know - if it takes any longer for you with experimenting please let me also know - I would carry all expenses because this is a very important thing for me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sample-cross-fade-in-ai.zip (31.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-06-2008, 14:50
Matthias

Default Some explantation

Sorry, but I mixed up cross-fades with BLENDS.

Blends cause the problems (I found this in an Adobe-PDF, "migration from corel to illustrator"):

1) Directly import of cdr-files to ai: Blends are maintained and converted to Illustrator Live Blends.

2) Save in ai-format in corel draw: Blends maintain their appearance but are expanded into individual objects for each step in the blend.

May there be a solution to prevent corel from expanding that much objects instead of creating Illustrator Liv Blends?