OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > Corel PHOTO-PAINT > General

Old 05-10-2005, 09:06
annedeblois

Thumbs down Alpha channel question - Drag and drop

We are working on a clip art gallery that contains pictures of plants and hard goods such as gazebos, driveways, etc. All these pictures are to be "transparent" pictures. The reason is, our customers are landscape designers. They will use a high-resolution picture of a newly-built house, or an older house whose owners want to rearrange the surrounding landscape with new trees, plants, rocks, etc. They will drag and drop pictures from the gallery onto the house picture, they will resize them and place them at the right places so that their own customers have a good idea of what they want for their home.

The clip arts are either TIFF or PNG files, because of the need for transparency.

I noticed that:

1. If you open the "transparent" pictures (e.g. a tree) in PhotoPAINT, you get all the RGB channels and the alpha channel too (which makes the pictures transparent)

2. If you simply drag and drop the TIFF/PNG file onto the background picture (with is either a CPT or a JPEG image), only the RGB channels are included, the alpha channel is not pasted and you see the color that was set up as "transparent". The user ends up with a tree with a grey or white background, and they need to make it transparent manually.

3. If you drag and drop the same files onto a Word document, the alpha channel is pasted too, and the picture does not show its background color.

I would like to know if there is a way (VBA, settings, etc.) you can keep the transparency, or the alpha channel, with the TIFF/PNG files that you drag and drop onto a background image, in PhotoPAINT. That would avoid the need for making a color transparent each time a tree or a flower picture is added to the house picture.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:13
Administrator

Why don't you use CPT files for your clipart? I'm sure objects saved into CPT will retain their transparency when dragged onto an existing document... And you can preview the gallery in the scrapbook docker...
Old 12-12-2005, 11:14
annedeblois

Hi,

It's has been a long time since I posted this question. I still wonder why, but Adobe Photoshop files keep their transparency when dragged and dropped as a file object (for example, dragging a PSD file from the Windows Explorer to an open document).

As for other files, I had to use VBA to manually open a transparent TIFF or PNG as a temporary object, and have PhotoPAINT automatically copy all the layers (I think you provided most of the code) before pasting the image into the document.

Very surprising... Must be by design.
Old 11-01-2006, 15:10
David Milisock

Ok I have to ask what program are you dragging the image into? Iknow you say an open document but an open document of what type. Word, CorelDRAW, Wordperfect, MS Publisher?

This is critical as different programs support different features from different programs.