OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > CorelDRAW > General

Old 10-09-2005, 11:35
4gold

Question How to draw a double line in coreldraw?

Hi All,
I am trying to draw a double line (two parallel lines) in coreldraw. I tried to set the line property. it seems there is no way to change that property. anybody know how to do that? I am new in coreldraw.

thanks in advance!
Old 11-09-2005, 17:38
Webster

There are numerous ways you can do this.

The simplest is to draw a line (using cntrl will constrain it to exactly parrallel or vertical). Assume it is a parrallel line, select it and drag it down. When you have reached the position you require, right click with the line still selected and a duplicate will be "deposited" in the new position.

If more precision is required, go Arrange, Transformations, Position to create a duplicate after making the appropriate settings.

This is fine for straight lines. One way to create two parallel curved lines would be to draw your curve, give it a thickness through outline attributes (say 2mm thick) then go Arrange, Convert Outline To Object. View the result in wire frame, delete the original "control" line that you created, then break what's left appart by editing the nodes. You will now have two perfectly parallel/concentric curved lines.

Another way to draw parallel curves would be to experiment with the contour control. You may need to edit the result by breaking the group apart and editing unwanted nodes.

There are other ways, but these are some of the methods I use to create parallel lines with a very high level of precision.

Hope this helps
Old 12-09-2005, 12:54

hmm I use another way, simpler I recon:

step1. give your object outline of e.g.3pt,
step2. duplicate your object and make copy's outline 1 pt
repeat to make even more parallels
(c) Adobe Illustrator Bible 1999 ;-)

so you'll have two exactly parallel lines. Advantage is that you don't have extra curve nodes, outline is rendered dynamically, and the other point is that contour tool is very buggy and sloooow on complex objects such as several words in complex font or maybe paragraph of text.
Old 12-09-2005, 14:40
4gold

Red face

thanks for the reply.

but what I am thinking about is whether or not a simple way existing by just set the property of the drawing line then we can draw a line (curved frequently like a country road) just one shot. i know in AutoCAD, there is such as method by setting the property of line we can draw a line (double parallel). your approaches work but for me it may take me tonnes of time (I have not tried yet), as I am currecly draw a geological map on which there are many curved lines, my client requires all the lines should be doubled parallel lines, so I am afraid I may not complete the work on time if there is not a simpel way to do that.

thanks again.
Old 12-09-2005, 15:05

Send a message via ICQ to shelbym Send a message via AIM to shelbym Send a message via MSN to shelbym Send a message via Yahoo to shelbym
Default Parallel Line

Draw just not support this, so it might not be your best choice if you do this day in and day out. CorelDESIGNER 12 however does: "New enhanced line styles: Enhanced line styles are especially useful for illustrating stitch patterns and drawing parallel lines. " That is from the CorelDESIGNER website. You might want to download the trail to see if it would work for you.

Best of luck,

Shelby
Old 27-10-2005, 13:55
JSC

I would use wOxxOm's technique with a bit a twist.

1-Put all lines you want to be parallel on a separate layer.
2-Make that layer the only editable layer.
3-Copy all lines to the clipboard.
4-Paste into another layer (call it copy of Layer#)
5-THEN change the line widths and the end cap properties of all, if necessary.

The advantage to this method is when you have to edit/change the paths of your master lines later on . Simply go to your "copy layer", delete the thick lines. Go to you original layer, add lines, edit nodes, etc..
Then repeat steps 3 thru 5 above.

I am imagine someone could write macro to do copy a layer's objects, paste to another existing layer, change line widths and/or endcaps, and delete objects on layer automatically.

JohnC

P.S. Hi Shelby

Last edited by JSC; 28-10-2005 at 02:39.
Old 27-10-2005, 19:49
Administrator

Better yet, select all your lines, CLONE them and move onto another layer below the current one and then change the width of clones. This way, if you edit the original (top) curve, the wider bottom curve will update automatically
Old 28-10-2005, 03:05
JSC

Alex I had completely forgotten about Clones; then I remembered the icon for it.

I changed back to the default work space to see if it was in any of the menus, but could not find it. I finally searched the commands and found the clone related functions.

Am I overlooking something? If not, what version of Corel did it dissapear from the menus or toolbars? Did that correlate with the use of Symbols?

Regards, John
Old 31-10-2005, 09:15
JSC

Question about where Clone is to be found ???
See prevous messange
Old 31-10-2005, 14:55
Ugly

It is not part of the default workspace in CorelDraw 12. You have to customize it in: Tools->Options, Workspace->Customization-Commands... it's somewhere in there.

Last edited by Ugly; 31-10-2005 at 15:08.