OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Developer Forums > VBA > Code Critique

Old 09-04-2004, 07:24

Send a message via ICQ to ddonnahoe Send a message via AIM to ddonnahoe Send a message via MSN to ddonnahoe Send a message via Yahoo to ddonnahoe
Default CD11: Adding input from user form to document

This little snippet is being used to place inputs from the user form to a blank order form. There is quite a bit more code (lots of user input) that goes after this, but you get the idea from all the If..then statements. I wanted to know if this was the most efficient way to go about this or if there was some function that I could use to make it clean-up a little.

Code:
' Add input from form to page
    If RushCheckBox1.Value = True Then
        Dim s888 As Shape
        Set s888 = ActiveLayer.CreateRectangle(6.548315, 7.274756, 7.852031, 6.955921, 0, 0, 0, 0)
        s888.OrderToBack
        s888.Fill.UniformColor.CMYKAssign 0, 0, 100, 0
        s888.Outline.Type = cdrNoOutline
    End If

If optCOD.Value = True Then
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText 8.343, 6.75, "ü", cdrEnglishUS, , "Wingdings", 18, cdrTrue, cdrFalse, cdrNoFontLine, cdrLeftAlignment
    End If

If optAcct.Value = True Then
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText 9.468, 6.75, "ü", cdrEnglishUS, , "Wingdings", 18, cdrTrue, cdrFalse, cdrNoFontLine, cdrLeftAlignment
    End If

If methUPS.Value = True Then
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText 5.3865, 5.141, "ü", cdrEnglishUS, , "Wingdings", 18, cdrTrue, cdrFalse, cdrNoFontLine, cdrLeftAlignment
    End If

If methUPSCOD.Value = True Then
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText 5.3865, 4.969, "ü", cdrEnglishUS, , "Wingdings", 18, cdrTrue, cdrFalse, cdrNoFontLine, cdrLeftAlignment
    End If

If methPickUp.Value = True Then
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText 6.792, 5.141, "ü", cdrEnglishUS, , "Wingdings", 18, cdrTrue, cdrFalse, cdrNoFontLine, cdrLeftAlignment
    End If

If methDeliver.Value = True Then
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText 6.792, 4.969, "ü", cdrEnglishUS, , "Wingdings", 18, cdrTrue, cdrFalse, cdrNoFontLine, cdrLeftAlignment
    End If

If chkKeepScreen.Value = True Then
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText 6.05, 5.718, "ü", cdrEnglishUS, , "Wingdings", 18, cdrTrue, cdrFalse, cdrNoFontLine, cdrLeftAlignment
    End If

If methUPSCOD.Value = True Then
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText 5.3865, 4.969, "ü", cdrEnglishUS, , "Wingdings", 18, cdrTrue, cdrFalse, cdrNoFontLine, cdrLeftAlignment
    End If

If txbItem.Text > "" Then
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText 9, 6.032, txbItem.Text, cdrEnglishUS, , "Tahoma", 10, cdrFalse, cdrFalse, cdrNoFontLine, cdrLeftAlignment
    End If

If txbScreen.Text > "" Then
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText 9, 5.718, txbScreen.Text, cdrEnglishUS, , "Tahoma", 10, cdrFalse, cdrFalse, cdrNoFontLine, cdrLeftAlignment
    End If

If txbArt.Text > "" Then
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticText 9, 5.375, txbArt.Text, cdrEnglishUS, , "Tahoma", 10, cdrFalse, cdrFalse, cdrNoFontLine, cdrLeftAlignment
    End If
As you can see by the form screen shot below, there are a lot of fields to input...
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2004, 11:30
Administrator

Default Re: CD11: Adding input from user form to document

I think you are doing it OK. However if anything I would change the absolute positioning of the checkmarks on the document. I assume that your black form is a CDR document with empty squares and some text, and you place the checkmarks in them using the Wingdings font. Right now you specify the absolute page coordinates for the text object. This could be difficult to maintain if you need to change your form.

I would give a unique name to each of the checkbox rectangles in the document, then find them by name in VBA and place the checkmark on top of them when needed.

Ok, let's assume that you have two checkbox rectangles as empty checkboxes for your COD and Account input fields. I would open up the Object Manager docker in CorelDRAW and gave the two rectangles the respective names, let's say "COD" and "Account". Then when I would create a function which would put a checkmark in the rectangle given the rectangle name.

I played with the text object, its size and position relative to the checkbox and determined that it looks OK on 1" x 1" checkbox if the text is about 110 pt size and has vertical offset about -0.16" (1/6"). So I calculated the required checkmark size and postion based on the checkbox size, which is another benefit - your program will not be dependent on checkbox sizes and positions on the page.

Here is the function which places a checkmark into a checkbox given the checkbox name:

Code:
Private Sub PutCheckmark(ByVal BoxName As String)
    Dim sBox As Shape
    Dim x As Double, y As Double, sx As Double, sy As Double
    Dim nSize As Single

Set sBox = ActivePage.FindShape(BoxName)
    If Not sBox Is Nothing Then
        sBox.GetBoundingBox x, y, sx, sy
        x = x + sx / 2 ' Middle of box
        y = y - sy / 6 ' Offset by 1/6" downward
        nSize = sy * 110 ' Font size
        ActiveLayer.CreateArtisticTextWide x, y, ChrW$(252), Font:="Wingdings", Size:=nSize, Alignment:=cdrCenterAlignment
    End If
End Sub
And here is how you can call the function:

Code:
If optCOD.Value Then PutCheckmark "COD"
If optAcc.Value Then PutCheckmark "Account"
You can use the same approach to put text fields inside textboxes, etc (using reference objects in the document and finding them by name).

Also I feel it is a better style to check for an empty string by using "not equal to" operator "<>" rather than greater than ">":

Code:
If txtName.Text <> "" Then ...
I hope this is useful.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:43

Send a message via ICQ to ddonnahoe Send a message via AIM to ddonnahoe Send a message via MSN to ddonnahoe Send a message via Yahoo to ddonnahoe

Thanks, that could really save some time. If you can believe it, I was actually drawing the form each time until Shelby gave me the idea of creating a blank form template and opening that instead. It saved a lot of time there as well.