OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Corel User Forums > CorelDRAW > Feature requests/wishlist

Old 06-07-2010, 15:32

Location: Orange County, California, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Default X6 Object Model feature suggestions / requests

Hi Alex and Shelby

It would be GREAT if the object model would NOT allow total disabling of the event system just to stop the object create event from impacting performance. I have a drawing protection system that is currently in the trash can since I discovered a simple way to turn off events. When events are off I am unable to prevent saving the drawing in an unencoded form, ergo no protection at all.

It would be great if the 'disable events' could be redefined to ONLY disable the object creation event, or, barring that don't disable the file system events at all. I can do a LOT with that if I had it.

-James
Old 06-07-2010, 15:32

Hi Alex and Shelby,

On the subject of events, it would also be GREAT if the 'Save' event had the option of querying the version the drawing WILL BE saved in. That way I can use custom document and shape properties and NOT have the drawing destroyed by a user saving to a V12 format. I can issue an error message and then force the svae to the current file version (or stop it altogether).

-James
Old 06-07-2010, 15:36

Default Static IDs that are REALLY static

Hi Alex and Shelby,

Currently a StaticID is only static (unchanged) during the lifetime of a document. A simple 'Save As' will generate new StaticIDs making any use for a persistent shape reference not feasible. It would be really good if a new type of StaticID was added that NEVER changed after an object / shape was created.

-James
Old 09-07-2010, 06:24

Default ...

I've wanted a way to persist objects for quite some time without using external references and then started playing with custom document properties. You can do a lot with it along with object naming and the data object. The data object has been around for quite awhile and works with several versions back. Been using that for a long time so it let's me rebuild older files into newer and better versions without much effort when ever they are opened. Depending on your precise needs the data object can act as a pointer to version specific modifications and saving to to older versions, at least I know to 12 works fine and doesn't really matter. Been using it to identify custom effect groups, "hot" objects along with several other things. Just have to rebuild and reinitialize a couple of things if certain properties do not exist on open.

...and now that CDR's are just ZIP files...you can do a ton of other things as well. You do have to keep a pretty tight rein on events when messing with file format. As you being a C++ guy there is an easy way to handle that as well.

Last edited by SteveDude; 09-07-2010 at 06:47.