OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Developer Forums > VBA > CorelDRAW/Corel DESIGNER VBA

Old 15-10-2004, 09:15
JohnnyNui

Default capabilities of coreldraw & VBA general "does it d

I have not been able to find a general outline of what can be done using VBA and corel draw so I will ask firstly can anyone help me find a web page with this information.

In particular I want to acheive the following.
I have a 2 stage goal.
Firstly - I have some drawings of products that are already created, I want to use these as templates and create a copy for each instance and add measurement labels to these drawings (without actually having to change dimensions of drawing - that is stage 2).
The data is currently in a SQL database.
So my questions are,
can VBA/coreldraw do this?
On a scale of 1-10 how hard is this?
If anyone has an example I would like to see

Stage 2 goal is to actually change the dimensions of the drawing as well as adding the labels for measurements
can vba/coreldraw do this
on a scale of 1-10 how hard is this
any examples? (wishing)

thanks everyone
Old 15-10-2004, 20:38
dungbtl

Well, im sorry. I cant support the answers to this, but I do have to say one thing:

Aside from Alex, who in turn is about the greatest help here I just wish thr was more
ppl to get involved some. Alex cant tackle all these issues and I am sure there are others out there that know this info but arent piping up, or maybe just faded away.

Old 16-10-2004, 13:40
JohnnyNui

thanks dungbtl

Yes , Alex is a big help and I have learned much from this forum already.

I am a lowly ASP programmer, so I do not know how to start my task. I have to pick a way to do my task, perhaps windows service, perhaps windows scripts, perhaps vb application, or some other method I know nothing about.
The problem is, I do not want to hire someone to do this in a method that is not the best/quickest/easiest/most elegant.

I have found that people dont want to answer these question unless they have the complete answer.
I am not after a complete answer, just some pointers.

hopefully someone will pipe in.
Old 16-10-2004, 15:26
Administrator

Johnny,

It's difficult to answer your questions because you didn't give much details on what it is you are doing. I can tell that yes, VBA can connect to SQL database and pull data from it. Then you can use the data to manipulate objects in a CorelDRAW document.

But what exactly you need to do will determine how difficult it will be to make. If you have experience with ASP, then it's almost sure you used ADO to interface with a database. The same library can be used in VBA, so this should be easy for you.

Drawing lines and creating text is quite easy in CorelDRAW through VBA too. If you give a few examples of what kind of data you have in the database, what drawings you work with and how you want to represet the data in the drawings, I can give you a few code samples to illustrate how to do this.
Old 18-10-2004, 09:29
JohnnyNui

OK thanks Alex, I was not actually expecting to get a detailed answer but it is a nice surprise.

yes I have plenty of experience connecting with databases and creating sql queries, so that part is not hard for me, the hard part is making this happen in VBA.

the page I want displayed has about 20 text fields that will be at the top of the drawing in a grid, so retrieving these fields ang placing in the drawing will be required.
next we have measurement fields that will be placed around the drawing in their proper positions, phase 1 will not change drawing dimensions.

phase 2 actually draws the item. to view a sample go to http://www.niumata.com/images/cover.jpg .
it was not made with any 3d tools, but I would prefer that it was extruded back a particular length (length from database).
Old 18-10-2004, 21:27
Administrator

I'm wondering if my reply in the following thread could give you a few pointers?
http://www.oberonplace.com/forum/vie...hp?p=2453#2453