OberonPlace.com Forums  

Go Back   OberonPlace.com Forums > Developer Forums > VBA > CorelDRAW/Corel DESIGNER VBA

Old 15-02-2008, 14:27

Default ThisMacroStorage Commands??

Does anyone know if there is a way under the "CorelDraw X? Objects/This Macro storage" to add PublishToPdf? There are things like DocumentClose , DocumentSave, Quit, ActivateWindow etc. etc... but I want something that runs scripts when I Publish a Document to a PDF! Something that sits around idle until the publishtopdf command is activated and then my script springs into action! Is this possible?

Thanks,
B
Old 15-02-2008, 16:44

Send a message via ICQ to shelbym Send a message via AIM to shelbym Send a message via MSN to shelbym Send a message via Yahoo to shelbym
Default Hmmm.....

Someone smarter than me may say yes, but I do not know of a trigger.

You could however, write your own PublishtoPDF that would include your script, then just add the place this macro as an icon or menu item.

-Shelby
Old 18-02-2008, 06:08

thats what I was afraid of... that there would be no way! If I could make my own, I would, but I can't because of what needs to be done! I've written my own publishtopdf script before... but this is different! I've got a script thats making a log file of sorts for saved Corel files. It simply writes a text file of the filename, date & time, computer name, etc etc when a corel file is saved. this works fine... but I need it to do the same thing when someone uses publishtopdf. this is going to run on several machines in the office without the user knowing they are being logged... so creating my own script for publishtopdf and putting it on their computer without them noticing anything at all different, would be next to impossible!

and just to clairify, hahaha as this must sound horrible/sneaky the way it's written above, the reason for this is we have a "secret" designer that seems to like to modify peoples drawings, without notifying anyone... which as you can image cause a lot of problems! So we want to be able to catch this said person! hence the reason for a log file of sorts, and the necessity to be discrete!
Old 18-02-2008, 07:26

Send a message via ICQ to ddonnahoe Send a message via AIM to ddonnahoe Send a message via MSN to ddonnahoe Send a message via Yahoo to ddonnahoe

So then, how do you plan on implementing this macro to the machines? Are all GMS folders pointed to one GMS folder? If you find a way to do this you could tell the entire staff that you have to install a service pack for Draw. No one would be the wiser.
Old 18-02-2008, 07:50

our IT guy is just going to stick the gms file in each users gms folder on the computer. it simply collects info in a text file and they'll never "see" it... so he'll just slip the gms remotely, and the next time they run corel it'll be functional! so we don't even have to make the aware that anything has changed!
Old 18-02-2008, 13:10

Send a message via ICQ to shelbym Send a message via AIM to shelbym Send a message via MSN to shelbym Send a message via Yahoo to shelbym
Default Before Save

If the goal is to catch this mystery designer, then why not just embed their username into the file before the save. That way if a designer notices the work is different you can pull the username of the person that last made changes.

Make any sense?

-Shelby
Old 19-02-2008, 14:45

Hi Shelbym, I'm not too concerned about the save portion of it... as I've got that all taken care of... it's the PublishtoPDF portion.

Here's what happening... we are a large sign shop and we have orders going into the shop for production that have been modified incorrectly! I said "secret designer" earlier... when I should have said "person with corel on their computer that shouldn't be modifing files" as we have some people that aren't "designers" with access to open corel files, but not save.

The problem is, they will open a file, modify it, and do a publishtopdf on their desktop, print the file, and send it into production! Then we can't get anyone to own up to it when the mistake is caught! Unfortunately, these "people" need corel on their machines and we can't remove it! Fortunately, they haven't been provided write access to the server the drawings are stored... but them being able to publish the pdf is still present, and causing problems!

I've been over and over this with everyone in house... remove corel, don't accept prints from project managers, have management talk with them... etc. etc. to no avail! SO... my solution, or attempt to find a solution, has been to create a log file (someday we'll have file management in place and won't have to worry about this problem) that keeps tracks of files saved or published to PDF... I'm just stuck on the Publish to PDF part!

Once this is in place... we have proof that "john doe" is editing files that he /she shouldn't be editing... then maybe some additional steps can be taken from a management position to ensure this person realizes they can't do this anymore!
Old 19-02-2008, 15:26

Send a message via ICQ to ddonnahoe Send a message via AIM to ddonnahoe Send a message via MSN to ddonnahoe Send a message via Yahoo to ddonnahoe

This might be a solution...
Why not create a save macro the the "designers" use that will create a PDF as well as save the document. Then only allow the "sales staff" access to the PDF (which should have write privileges locked) only.

----------------
Now playing on Pandora: Propellerheads - Spybreak!
via FoxyTunes
Old 20-02-2008, 06:14

ah ha! In a perfect world that'd have been the ideal solution... and it's funny you mention that because that is exactly what we did! HOWEVER, certain members of the staff... a number of them, wined and complained till management gave in and gave them all a copy of Corel. The only thing was they didn't have write access to anything. So, it really defeated the purpose of locking anything down... because these people convinced management they NEEDED Corel, even though there was much opposition from the designers. Hence... here we are today trying to create the "log file" so it can be proven to management that these files are being modified, and not by designers! My log file is working perfectly for save… I just wish I could figure out a little trick for making it initialize when someone uses publishtopdf!
Old 20-02-2008, 07:28
Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprice View Post
… I just wish I could figure out a little trick for making it initialize when someone uses publishtopdf!
I take it you've tried just making a macro to replace the "Publish to PDF" - log the info then run the same command as in the menu.

I just recorded clicking on the "Publish to PDF". Now all I would need to do would be to put it into the "file" menu, change the icon and take out the existing one.